Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sambal Fried Rice

These days, fried rice is usually made with newly cooked rice instead of leftover rice. I try to let the rice cool down and sit a while. That's about as "leftover" as it gets, I guess. We eat long-grain, jasmine rice.

This dish was made because I also had leftover pork. It wasn't char siew (barbecued pork), which would have been better, but pork worked just as well for me as I wanted it to have a bit of "bite". The pork was uncooked so it was diced and fried. Spam is another favourite. For this dish, I deep fried the cubed spam before adding it to the rice, which I never used to do. Besides the "bite," I also wanted a bit of "crunch". I later regretted it as that made it saltier. Or maybe I added too much spam, couldn't tell. I also added Nonya Sambal as well as Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning (a staple in our pantry/larder/cupboard along with Mrs. Dash Original) to spice it up even more. Love the peppery taste of the Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy. Goes well with everything!



Add a little light soy sauce, fish sauce (I really like its flavour, for some reason), lots of pepper, frozen mixed vegetables, an egg (or eggs) and top it off with spring onions (aka scallions). Oh yes, add the rice towards the end and mix it all up. Sometimes I fry an omelette and slice it up, sprinkling the pieces over the rice. I love rice. Must have rice. The taste of it is actually very comforting when I haven't had it for a day or so or even longer. It's comforting and familiar and all that's good. Yup, that's how it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home