Thursday, July 9, 2009

Chinese Wayang

This used to be a familiar scene when I was oh, so much younger and innocent. I can still picture it in my head especially the night scene. I seem to remember a dirt road. People coming and going. And the music. And that familiar stage for it was very familiar once upon a time.


(Picture courtesy of Cantonese Opera)


(Picture courtesy of Cantonese Opera)

It has all been taken for granted and stored away. There were times when I visited Singapore and would hear the familiar strains of a Chinese opera being performed. And I longed to be a part of it, sitting there in the audience, watching and listening to something that was now slightly foreign and yet so familiar. I remember being lifted up as a little girl so that we could visit backstage. It's a nice memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home