Friday, July 10, 2009

Savory Cheese Biscuits



This recipe is from the Oregon Street Tea Company. They used to have a shop in town and I went there a few times to have their high tea. Yes, including fine china, scones, devonshire cream, sandwiches and desserts. It was one of those lovely treats that one allowed oneself to indulge in every once in a long while. They also had a delicious quiche which I now miss.

I wasn't really one for biscuits at the beginning but soon got used to them as there weren't any scones around. We were used to the Pillsbury brand and others but recently, I found myself wanting to make them from scratch (yes, big surprise) and I'd always wanted to try this recipe ever since I saw it on the web site. It actually turned out quite well and I found myself eating more than one or two. Quite filling too, really. (And I wonder how many calories...)


Ready for the oven


Savory Cheese Biscuits

Ingredients
*2 cups self-rising flour
*1 teaspoon sugar
*1/2 cup butter
*1 cup sour cream
*1 cup grated cheddar cheese


Directions
*Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
*Mix flour and sugar.
*Cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas.
*Add sour cream and cheese and blend thoroughly.
*Roll out dough on a floured board. (Mixture may need a little extra flour).
*Cut with a biscuit cutter and put on an ungreased pan.
*Bake for 10-12 minutes.




Freshly baked biscuits, the one in front broken in half, revealing the melted cheddar cheese. As Rachael Ray says, "Yummo!"


Since I don't have a biscuit cutter, I've been using the rim of a champagne glass (as I didn't want them too big). I made a small batch this afternoon and wrapped the remaining dough in saran wrap and refrigerated it till dinner-time. For the second batch, I used the rim of a wine glass, wanting a slightly larger biscuit. Turned out quite well. Now to get me a biscuit cutter if I'm going to be baking these biscuits on a semi-regular basis!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home