Thursday, July 23, 2009

Biscuits and Gravy

Yup, I did it. It was my first attempt and it was a success or a fluke (one can't tell these things). We already had some leftover dough for the savoury cheese biscuits and hubby wanted biscuits and gravy for breakfast so I made the gravy as per his instructions. I also made a discovery about the cheese biscuits. I don't think the dough can be kept too long. I doubt if dough can be kept too long anyway. Each time I baked the biscuits from the same batch, they looked browner on the top and just a little odd, a little flaky. So maybe it would be best to bake as many as possible except that we couldn't possibly eat them all. But then again, mine didn't look like the biscuits pictured in the recipe either when I made them fresh:


Savoury cheese biscuits from Oregon Street Tea Company

What to do. Mine were nice and fluffy on the inside and were delicious. Will see what I can do the next time.

For the gravy, I followed the recipe hubby gave me as he'd been making it for years, having eaten (and loving) it since young. Over the years, he tried to get an actual recipe but was only told a bit of this, add a little of that. I was making it for one person so it was 2 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 cups milk, lots of salt and pepper. Melt the butter slowly over medium heat (it was actually fascinating to watch the pat of butter slowly dwindle down in size and I found myself staring at it in wonder - nope, I can't explain it either), add the flour and stir slowly to form a roux, mixing really well. Add the milk slowly and continue stirring over medium heat until it thickens. So I continued stirring and was afraid to walk away from the stove and wanted to serve it hot over the biscuits and so didn't take a picture of it. So I found a picture on the web and it looked something like this (no, really):


Picture from What's Cooking America

I ladled the gravy over the biscuits and served them hot. Lots and lots of gravy. I sampled a little bit and I liked it. There was still some gravy left over so it could have been for two persons (if the second person didn't mind less gravy).


Picture from Mama's Southern Cooking

The picture above (found on the web) is sort of how the biscuits and gravy looked except that mine was milk gravy without any crumbled sausage or any other meat in it. And you couldn't see the biscuits at all for they were smothered in gravy. There are scores of gravy recipes out there and for now, I'm quite satisfied with this one since it worked out just fine. My first attempt at making gravy was actually a success. Let's see how it turns out a second time! Oh yes, and have the camera at the ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home